Hi,  I teach 8th grade social studies and will finish with causes of the American Revolution next week.  My question to all of you is..  How do you teach the Revolution?  I will be without computers that week and am looking for some inspiration.  By the way, a great source for causes of the AR is Mission US: For Crown or Colony?  It really works well if you have access to computers and the kids have had fun learning. 

Views: 362

Replies to This Discussion

Last year, I did a quick unit as we watched the Arab Spring unravel the middle east... comparing the actions in Egypt with those of the AR.  Could use a series of primary source documents to collect the relevant information and then compare and contrast similarities and differences, predict future struggles...
Thanks Diana, I did a similar unit last year using the New York Times (they have some great lessons). 
Hi Scott and welcome!  I'm still a couple of weeks away from the Revolution but the AIH stuff is pretty good as is the old TCI/History Alive binder of lessons for this unit.  I need to look to see if I have any of the things I use electronically to post.  In the meantime, check out http://cicerohistory.com/free-trial.php.  Their free trial includes their entire unit on the AR and is well worth examining.  I'm at the TCSS conference this weekend, but I'll look for the other stuff next week. :)
Thanks Leticia, really like the Cicero site.  I'm a little embarrased that I do not know what AIH or TCI History Alive is...
Hi.  I have just gotten back into teaching US History (Grade 8 in Calif) after teaching 7th World for....lots of years.  One thing that I am trying to emphasize in teaching the Am. Rev. is that in part, it was a civil war. If you can begin teaching your students the concept of civil war, then later, as events led us into the conflict between "north and south," I believe more students will understand and get it.  At my always underperforming school, we are instructed to do as much direct instruction as possible...lots of vocabulary and reading comprehension emphasis.  I have my student illustrate lots of what they take notes on....and do alternative assessments such as 6+6's and illustrated timeline activities.
I completely agree Daniel.  Teaching that the AR was a civil war helps to lay the foundation for later.  It also helps to spend time on John Locke so that students understand the purpose of government and the social compact.

AIH is American Institute of History and TCI History Alive is a fabulous program you really should check out.  My files contain so many pics - they're too big to load - I have old computer - BUT...am always looking for new ways for kids to make the connections.  Let me know what you end up doing.  In the meantime, here's the overview lecture we use.  I'll be posting some of the things that won't upload here to my webpage as we do them in class...http://delvalle.tx.schoolwebpages.com/education/staff/staff.php?sec... Click the link to class activities at the top left. 

Attachments:
I highly recommend that you use the novel Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson. GREAT for 8th graders. A very compelling work of historical fiction about a female slave's experiences during the Revolution.

Hi Cosby, I would love to hear a bit more about how you use Chains with your students if you have a moment. I love that book. Thanks, Zach

Zach or anyone else who has questions about the Revolutionary war novel, Chains, please email me: cosby@inspiredteaching.org

I will say quickly that it helped to purchase the book on CD and spend some time listening in class. I also got some mileage out of the primary source quotations at the beginning of each chapter. The next time I use the book iIwant to use maps and get more into the geography of the period. What kind of stuff do you do? 

Hey Zach. I'm sorry I didn't write more before. Are you teaching about the revolution right now? 

RSS

Like us on Facebook!

© 2014   Created by Angela Cunningham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service